The massively powerful Oberheim Matrix-12 has been resurrected at last. Using our TAE™ modeling technology, we are able to recapture this beast of a synthesizer and bring it to you. The Matrix 12 was the first programmable analog synthesizer that took the best features of a preset voice path and modular flexibility. This bold combination made it a force of nature and something that had not been seen before. It also had a 15 mode filter system that enabled it to have sounds that had never been heard before.
Making the model
- Every point in the signal path is important when modeling the sound of such a revered instrument.
- So to establish the proper foundation, we perfectly recreated the tonal characteristics of the original 2 oscillators and their waveforms in Matrix-12 V. And it was equally critical to capture every nuance of its 15 filter modes, so we kept at it until they had been modeled perfectly!
- Another factor in defining the complex sound of the Matrix-12 was the amazing number of modulation sources and destinations it provided. This was a level of sophistication previously only available in a fully modular system.
- So to complete the emulation we modeled these capabilities also, even surpassing them. With a nearly endless number of possible modulation routings in Matrix-12 V you can create sounds with highly organic qualities not found in other synthesizers.
50 shades of sound
A true chamelion of a synthesizer. With its 15 filter modes you can create everything you need from the thin and airy to the brash and bold.
The power of perfection
While the Matrix-12 was amazing in itself, we pushed it further by adding a new effects chain for further processing of the sound. We also expanded the maximum number of modulation routings from 20 to 40, giving you even more creative freedom. Add to this the ability to control all the parameters via MIDI, and now you can do automations in a DAW or manually that could never be done before.
The exclusive analog modeling technology that makes our virtual instrument emulations indistinguishable from the originals. By accurately mimicking the characteristics of analog oscillators, filters, and soft clipping, we can provide astonishing component-accurate detail and authentic analog charm in equal measure.
- Two oscillators, each offering triangle, sawtooth and variable-width pulse wave with PWM.
- Oscillator 2 also function as a white noise generator.
- Oscillator 1 or the Filter can be frequency modulated.
- Single filter with 15 modes: 4 Low Pass, 3 High Pass, 2 Band Pass modes, Notch and Phase Shift plus four additional “combo” filter modes.
- Ultra-powerful modulation matrix with 27 sources and 47 destinations.
- Sources include 5 envelopes, 5 LFOs, 4 Ramp, 3 Track generators, Velocity, Pressure, Keyboard follow, and more.
- Two insert effect slots with six studio-grade effects available.
- 12 voices of polyphony like the original instrument
- Works in Standalone, VST, VST3, AU, AAX.